I feel a disclaimer is necessary when it comes to this topic. I am not very good with computers and technologies and feel that the best way for someone’s personality to get across to others is by body language, tone of voice and the look in someone’s eyes. Plus I’m also just really bad with technology and don’t take part in any other types of social networks besides facebook and youtube (just to look at funny videos mainly).
Social interaction has taken on a different meaning from when we use to play on the blacktop during recess. Where it once was a solely face-to-face interactions or the occasional phone call to see if your friends were home. How, when and the frequency of our interactions have changed drastically. Technology has greatly influenced the way we interact with people. Since the invention of the telephone technology has been improving to make it easier for people to connect. The recent innovation of texting and social networking sites have made this task of connecting easier but at the same time more distant.
I remember in the second grade we had a homework assignment that was about phone etiquette. There was a polite and proper way to answer the phone and start the conversation I miss that. Its so hard to get people on the phone these days, they would much rather text email , bbm or any other depersonalized medium. That’s one of the negative affects of these technologies, it’s made it easier to connect but harder for people to interact face-to-face. Even I’ve found myself, depending on the person I’m talking with, preferring to use texting so as not to feel as if I’m encroaching on that person’s space. It’s hard to believe we call that “Social Interaction”. There are definitely upsides to these technologies as well. One of my favorite new social interaction technologies is Skype. It’s extremely useful to me because I one of my best friends is going to school in Scotland it not only allows me to talk with her for free but also see her. These advancements keep people in touch and bring them together.
Internet based connections that are formed on common interest sites such as gaming and message boards allow people from all over to meet others that are similar to them. This type of interaction is close but in a superficial way. I can’t see this type of interaction being as satisfying as a “real” interaction. These technologies are a great way to stay connected and share thoughts and ideas with people around the world. But they should never replace or monopolize people’s day-to-day interactions. It would be a good thing to setup ways for more “real” interactions so people can find a healthy balance in their lives. People need to feel connected as well as physically interact. These technologies allow for us to feel the connection but its up to us to do the rest and it seems a lot of people are having hard time finding that balance.
No comments:
Post a Comment