Procrastinating seems like the number one reason to be on the Internet. I know whenever I’m trying to avoid writing a paper or a particularly boring reading I find myself on YouTube or Facebook to distract myself. But that’s the thing, I only have a few websites that I visit and that is what’s so interesting about StumbleUpon it not only helps entertain and inform but brings you to new sites that you might never have seen otherwise.
I first heard about StumbleUpon during winter finals this year when it seemed almost everyone in my dorm, well at least the boys, where using it to avoid studying. This personalized yet randomized site leads you to find interesting and different sites that one normally wouldn’t find on your own. The sites that are recommended to you by the interests that you filled out when first starting with StumbleUpon are recommend by either your friends or people that had the same interests as you. This seemed like a really interesting new site to try out but because it was the middle of finals I wasn’t going to touch it with a ten-foot pole since I don’t need anything besides Facebook to distract me. I forgot about this site till recently when I noticed that StumbleUpon is now connected with Facebook. The collaboration of these two sites creates a greater exploration of what’s available on the Internet. So I went and signed up for the free service. Now that I’m on its hard stop, the tools of procrastination just keep getting better. I swear if I didn’t live in the dorms I would be trying every one of the recipes that pops up when I stumble. Like on this site http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/4VA6Ti/www.tastespotting.com/ , everything looks so good.
StumbleUpon has been around since 2002 and was developed by Justin LaFrance, Garrett Camp, and Geoff Smith. They started to develop this search engine shortly after a drop in the market of dot coms. After many revamps and updating eBay bought the company in 2008. Like with any good idea there are many other similar websites such as Fichey and SpinSnap of course they all have their own gimmick to make them unique.
(http://www.stumbleupon.com/)
No comments:
Post a Comment